Hiring: Finance Manager
Salary: £7,793 gross.
Part -time: 7 hours per week, one-year contract (with possibility of extension)
Location:Normal place of work is at the LMN Office near Finsbury Park station. However, applications from those living in other parts of the UK are welcomed, and every attempt would be made to establish realistic and effective hybrid working arrangements.
Application deadline: 11.59pm UK time on Tuesday 4 October.
Interviews: By arrangement in the first half of October.
Are you interested in supporting communities affected by UK based mining companies and UK finance? Want to join a dynamic and growing organisation holding the powerful to account?
LMN has recently undergone a phased period of growth, and we are looking for someone to manage and develop the finance function of LMN. We are still a small team where every member of staff can have a big impact.
The ideal candidate will have excellent numeracy and digital skills, be well-organised, with experience of managing all aspects of the finance function of a small charity and managing financial reporting for multiple grants from institutions, trusts and foundations.
The post holder must be flexible and willing to get involved with other activities as appropriate to meet the changing needs of the organisation.
This will be a position that you can truly make your own, and where you will play a key role in managing the finance operations of the charity and its fundraising.
LMN is a network of 23 diverse organisations and 9 associate member groups all concerned about human rights, social justice, and the ecological integrity of the planet, particularly the negative impacts of London-linked mining companies on communities and ecosystems around the world. All groups are united around LMN’s Statement of Purpose.
- Manage all income and expenditure processing;
- Maintain and improve bookkeeping and accountancy;
- Prepare and update annual income and expenditure budget in consultation with the LMN team;
- Monitor the budget against actual and in relation to approved expenditure;
- Produce regular finance reports and prepare the annual accounts;
- Liaise with PAYE service providers;
- Assist with applications for funding ensuring that all grants, and donations are paid on time and the financial conditions met;
- Experience with Accounting Software, preferably Quickbooks;
- Understanding of financial control systems required for charities, including Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIO);
- Experience of bookkeeping and the Charities SORP;
- Proven experience in preparing financial reports, forecasts and estimates for a range of audiences;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Good computer literacy;
- Proactive and highly organised, with good time management and planning skills, and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, with ability to foster positive working relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders;
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills;
- A commitment to LMN’s mission;
LMN accepts applications from candidates all over the world regardless of background, ethnicity or religion and we are ardent proponents of equality and diversity; however, due to Brexit and the size of our organisation you must be eligible to work in the UK, as we are unable to offer sponsorships to any candidates.
To apply for this role, please send a CV and cover letter of up to two pages outlining why you are a good fit for the role to email@example.com by 11.59pm UK time on Tuesday 4 October.
Please also include at least two Referees in your covering letter or CV. Your referees should include your current or previous line manager, academic tutor or a volunteer manager if applicable. Referees will only be contacted after an offer, conditional on references, has been made.
We plan to hold interviews in the first half of October. We would prefer to interview in person in the LMN office, unless current government guidance changes. Please tell us if there are any reasonable adjustments we can make to assist you if you are called for an interview.
LMN Financer Manager
- To provide professional, efficient, and effective financial support to LMN.
- To ensure the smooth running of the charity’s finances, maintain reliable and accurate accounting records.
- To support LMN in its management governance functions and fundraising.
Hours: 7 hours per week for 12 months, with possibility of extension
Place of work: Normal place of work is at the LMN Office near Finsbury Park station. However, applications from those living in other parts of the UK are welcomed, and every attempt would be made to establish realistic and effective hybrid working arrangements.
The LMN Finance Officer is expected to travel within London and elsewhere in the UK from time to time to attend meetings and other events.
Benefits: London Mining Network’s pension provider is the government NEST pension fund. Due to regulation, it is mandatory to join the scheme on commencement of your employment, but you may opt out of the scheme thereafter.
As the Finance Officer at London Mining Network, you will have responsibility for managing the charity’s finances. We are a small, friendly team of people that work closely together to ensure that London Mining Network reaches its goals. We are looking for someone who has a flexible “can-do” attitude, willing to take initiative and take the lead on organising our financial systems and reporting. You will have experience of preparing annual accounts and budgets and a firm understanding of financial control procedures. Some out of office hours work may be required.
- Prepare and update income and expenditure budgets in consultation with the LMN Treasurer and staff team.
- Monitor the budget against actual expenditure and in relation to approved expenditure and take up any major variations in budget expenditure with the treasurer.
- Monitor budgets and reconcile any differences.
- Be involved in strategic planning projections and programme activities with the LMN team.
Accountancy and Bookkeeping Systems
Maintenance of all accounting records on an ongoing basis to include:
- Manage all income and expenditure processing.
- Maintain and improve bookkeeping and accountancy including
- Bank reconciliations
- Cash management
- Income and grant analysis
- Bank receipts and payments
- Respond to finance queries from the team
Produce regular management information so that staff and trustees know how well the charity is performing against its budget. To include:
- produce regular finance reports and prepare the annual accounts;
- prepare other statutory reports including regular Gift Aid submissions to HMRC;
- ensure that London Mining Network’s financial information is adequate in order to meet the requirements of regulators, external advisors, funders and Trustees;
- co-ordinate and prepare financial plans including budgets for Trustees’ approval and give input to the development of strategy;
- develop and maintain accounting and risk policies and maintain a finance and risk filing system;
- review regularly financial and internal control procedures and make recommendations to the Trustees when required;
- Assist the Treasurer in presenting financial management information at Trustee and staff meetings to make strategic and operational decisions;
- liaise with PAYE service providers.
- Ensure that the most tax-efficient solution is applied to fundraising income through gift aid and other schemes.
- Assist with writing and submitting applications/proposals for funding, ensuring that all grants and donations are paid on time and the financial conditions met.
- Assist with finding alternative funding resources for the long-term sustainability of the organisation.
- Maintain banking records and ensure correct allocation of donor funds.
Undertake all finance-related administrative tasks, ensuring orderly filing of electronic (dropbox) and paper documents.
Contribute to the Risk Register on financial matters.
Keep abreast of current legislation and practices as well as best practices with peer organisations and prepare reports and recommend procedures for LMN.
- Work closely with the Co-ordinator, Treasurer and other colleagues as part of a mutually supportive team.
- Carry out other duties appropriate to the post as requested by the Co-ordinator.
- Work with the Co-ordinator and other team members to develop effective management systems and working practices that make best use of human and financial resources.
- Comply with and carry out duties with regard to all policies and procedures of the organisation.
Essential Experience and Skills required
- Experience with Accounting Software, preferably Quickbooks.
- Understanding of financial control systems required for charities, including Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIO).
- Experience of bookkeeping and the Charities SORP.
- Proven experience in preparing financial reports, forecasts and estimates for a range of audiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good computer literacy.
- Proactive and highly organised, with good time management and planning skills, and attention to detail.
Desirable skills and knowledge
- Knowledge of, and an interest in, the work of London Mining network.
- Ability to analyse and present data in a user-friendly format.
- Risk management experience and awareness.
LMN is a network of 23 very diverse organisations and 9 associate member groups all concerned about human rights, social justice and the ecological integrity of the planet, particularly the negative impacts of London-linked mining companies on communities and ecosystems around the world. All groups are united around LMN’s Statement of Purpose, with which all who join LMN are required to agree. It is essential for all LMN workers to have respect for this Statement.
The role requires both an ability to work well within a small staff team and a high level of self-management and work planning. It also requires an ability to work respectfully with members holding a range of views which sometimes differ markedly from one another. The role will entail working with all LMN team members and providing accurate and timely information to a high standard. The postholder will be in sole charge of all transaction processing and accounting. It will also mean holding the vision, mission and values of LMN throughout the work, ensuring the central importance of solidarity with communities affected by London financed mining projects.
The successful candidate will be joining a small and supportive team.
|Experience of working with grassroots communities /or mining related organisations||x|
|Experience working in for a nonprofit organisation||x|
|Experience of financial management and bookkeeping- paid or unpaid Production of management accounts and financial reports and analysis.||x|
|Experience of developing budgets,||x|
|Experience of setting up and maintaining financial systems.||x|
|Production of annual statutory accounts||x|
|Experience of managing the year end inspection/ audit process||x|
|Experience of compiling and submitting funding funding application||x|
|Experience of conveying financial information to non-financially trained colleagues and volunteers.||x|
|Familiarity with UK funding landscape, including grant funding, individual giving||x|
|Understanding of extractivism and social justice struggles||x|
|Good knowledge of document management and team collaboration tools||x|
|Skills and Attitude|
|Commitment to the principles of community-led solutions||x|
|Ability to use cloud software (such as GoogleDrive or DropBox) and Microsoft Office Excel and Word to a high standard||x|
|Being very able and willing to learn new online administrative tools and communication platforms (we currently use google docs, Zoom and dropbox)||x|
|Good communication skills and ability to co-operate well as part of a team||x|
|Proactive, organised, able to self-manage and work independently||x|
|Demonstrate a commitment to the values of LMN and act in the best interest of the organisation and its partners.||x|