After years of protest, demonstrations and dissident shareholders asking the difficult questions, BHP has pulled the plug on its London AGM. In a move that looks a lot like running away from accountability, BHP has decided to hold its 2022 AGM in Perth, Australia on 10 November at 10:00 (that’s 2am UK time).
The executive board probably think they won’t be hearing from many people about the company’s broken promises in Brazil, its water use in Chile and Peru, its insistence on pushing ahead with copper mining in Arizona, or the mess it left behind in Colombia.
That’s where you come in. We’re filling the calendars of top executives at BHP with hundreds of invitations to remind them that BHP can run, but it can’t hide from accountability.
How to join the Calendar Jam
- Open your calendar app, such as Gmail or Outlook. We’re going to be sending calendar invites to board members and executives at BHP (and to us at LMN so we can track our progress!)
- Pick a time in your calendar between now and 10 November. Title your meeting something like:
“Stop Draining Salar de Punta Negra in Chile”
“Restore Arroyo Bruno – Selling Shares isn’t Enough!”
“Samarco Dam Collapse – it’s time to put things right”
“Water in the Antamina mine – where does it come from?”
“Resolution Copper should not be built – drop the plans now!”
- Copy all of the following email addresses and paste them into the invite field of your event:
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, John.firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure to click “send invitations” so the executives get an email notification as well.
- Rinse and repeat. Hot tip: multiple invitations are more effective than long events. Bank executives will have to decline each and every invitation, making it impossible to ignore our calendar invitations.
- Share the action on social media!
Share the campaign video to give us an extra boost! Click the share arrow on the right hand side!